One of the most common questions we are asked by our customers is “What is Palm Oil?” shortly followed by “Why don’t you use Palm Oil, Why is Palm Oil bad?”
What Is Palm Oil?
Palm Oil is a vegetable Oil, It comes from the fruit of Oil Palm Trees. It can be found in the majority of packaged food we find in the supermarket as well as soaps and cosmetics to name a few.
Palm Trees are native to Africa but were introduced to South East Asia Over 100 years ago. Now Indonesia and Malaysia produce 85% of the worlds supply with 42 other countries making up the other 15%.
Why don’t you use Palm Oil, Why is Palm Oil bad?
Palm Oil itself isn’t bad or harmful, However methods and aspects of the production are. Huge deforestation of some of the planets most biodiverse Forests allow for the planting of Oil Palm Trees. The destruction of the forests and the changing of the soil type is pushing millions of tonnes of Green house gases into the atmosphere, contributing to climate change. Not only this but the deforestation is destroying the habitats of already endangered species such as the Orangutan, pygmy elephant and Sumatran rhino.
With this into consideration we feel the need to promote this issue and make people aware of the destruction associated with Industrial Palm Oil Production. Our products represent quality that can be obtained without using Palm Oil. We are 100% Palm Oil Free.